tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 25 14:28:13 2004

Re: action verbs vs. qualities

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh:

>He has, however, used {-ta'} several times - not as many as {-taH} and
>{-pu'} however - and ALWAYS  on an action verb, never a quality.

Might this be because it's difficult to "accomplish" a quality? If you say
{jIDoq} "I am red", then ??{jIDoqta'} becomes weird.

I think this might have something to do with a distinction between agent
(one who causes an action) and patient (one to whom the action is done),
rather than subject and object. An intransitive verb like {jIQong} has an
agent. A stative verb like {jIDoq} has only a patient. As I see it, {-ta'}
refers *only* to sentences that have agents.

Of course, we can fix up {Doq} so that it does have an agent:
{jIDoq'eghmoHta'} "I have made myself be red".

Savan.

QeS lagh

Play Origin SMS footy trivia to win $5k. Go to
http://mobilecentral.ninemsn.com.au/mcheadtohead/home.aspx

Back to archive top level