tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 20 12:14:42 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: pop (n)

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 1:28 PM
Subject: Re: Klingon WOTD: pop (n)

> Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, May 20, 2004.
> >
> >Klingon word: pop
> >Part of Speech: noun
> >Definition: reward
> >
> >Additional Notes: TKD Addendum.
> >
> >As used in canon:
> >
> > jonlu'meH wo'maj pop tIn law' Hoch tIn puS
> > Our Empire's highest bounty has been placed on his head. (ST5 notes)
>
> Comparative-as-subject...interesting. Didn't know you could do that.
>
> -quljIb

I'm afraid I don't see comparative-as-subject happening here. I see:
{jonlu'meH} "In order for someone to capture (him/her/it)". Subject is
indefinite.
{wo'maj pop tIn law' Hoch tIn puS} "Our Empire's reward is the largest."

What I find most interesting is the fact that a {pop} can be {tIn}. So {tIn}
could also carry the same meaning ("having a great value") to other things
that have a monetary value, in addition to meaning "to be large
(physically)". {tIn nobvam} could mean either "This gift is large" OR "This
gift has a high value."
We might even be able to say {Huch tIn} "Big money." (I know, I know, {Huch
law'} sounds better to me, too. Just shooting off at the mouth.) }}: )

<genuine curiousity>Where do you see "comparative-as-subject"?</curiousity>

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/