tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 16 00:48:45 2004

Re: "beginning" of improvement

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:
>why all the mention of 'beginning' of improvement?  there is no 'beginning'
>or change of state in the original.  is {-choH} there just to have
>something to hang {-ghach} on?

In retrospect I guess that it might have been a subconscious addition of
something in order to allow {-ghach} here. But I thought it added a nice
nuance to the translation, and if I were looking for a stock suffix to put
on *just* in order to be able to use {-ghach}, it would be {-taH}.

I don't like using {-ghach} normally: it's messy, and Klingon's verb-centred
grammar would probably prefer a verb where one was possible. As I said
originally, I just thought it seemed appropriate in this case, also allowing
for the use of the noun-noun construct {bIj ngoQ} "the purpose of
punishment".

So I'll go with my other idea, {bIjwI' DubmeH Qu' 'oH bIj Qu''e'}, for the
time being.

Savan.

QeS lagh

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level