tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 05 13:36:20 2004

Re: other Possible Puns

Quvar:
> >And did I tell you that the arabic word for {wa'} is "wahid"? That's just a
> >coincidence too I guess :-)

QeS lagh:
>I'm learning Classic Maya for an archaeology course I'm doing at university.
>The word for "two" in Classic Maya is <cha'>. No kidding, identical
>pronunciation, glottal stop and everything.

Once you start focusing on single words, you'll start seeing them
everywhere.  For instance, in Middle (Classical) Egyptian, the word for
"one" is <w'>, "glottal stop and everything" too, conventionally pronounced
/wa'/.  (Egyptians didn't record the vowels in their script so the actual
pronunciation is something of an educated guess.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level