tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 05 01:44:22 2004

other Possible Puns

Lieven L . Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Greetings

Maybe this is a pun, or maybe just a coincidence. Anyway, I have to tell you that:

Perhaps some people have read that I've travelled the Sahara with university last month. I've had
some contact with the arabic language and discovered something interesting:
There are two ways of writing,
The standard, usual way, just all the letters in a row as we know it. In the other system which is
used only in religious context, one can also make some kind of drawings using the letters, i.e. they
are stretched and squeezed just like one needs them. (This works because they are just lines and
dots anyway)
Now I've seen a sentence "in the name of allah" (bIsm 'alah 'al raHman al raHim) in the shape of a
bird. The letter that was used for the eye is the letter {m}, because it looks like an eye, close to this:
-o-

The name of that letter in arabic is *mIym*
The Klingon word for "eye" is {mIn}.

Intended pun or not - it's a nice story.

And did I tell you that the arabic word for {wa'} is "wahid"? That's just a coincidence too I guess
:-)

Quvar.

Back to archive top level