tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 31 03:26:56 2004

Page of problems for KLI Wiki (was Re: lojmItDaq puqbe'wI' vIleghpu')

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' SuStel:

>No it's not.  "The cat in the hat" problem would, I suppose, be the fact
>that you can't use Type 5 noun suffixes on the first noun of a noun-noun
>construction.  Krankor's *{mIvDaq yIH} "tribble in the helmet" is therefore
>illegal.

qa'meH nobmeH {mIv tuQbogh yIH} vIchup.

>QeS lagh has already shown how this is the "I shot an elephant in my
>pajamas" problem, and it's not really a problem, just something vague.

True; the problem is with comprehension and ambiguity, not the grammar of
the construction.

This makes me think: Would a page about commonly asked grammar and semantics
questions be OK to put on the KLI's Wiki? Stuff like the "cat in the hat"
problem, the QAO arguments, and "elephant I shot in my pajamas" ambiguity,
which have surfaced and resurfaced on this list numerous times. If all of
you wouldn't mind me taking this on, I'd like to do it (if, in fact, it
hasn't already been done).

And if any of you have suggestions for such a page, I'd be more than happy
to hear them.

Savan.

QeS lagh

Protect your inbox from harmful viruses with new ninemsn Premium. Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp?banner=emailtag&referrer=hotmail

Back to archive top level