tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 30 05:06:05 2004

Re: -Daq, subject, object

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Dar'Qang:

>In the sentence:
>lojmItDaq puqbe'wI' vIlegh.
>Is there a standard, or default interpretation as to who would be at the
>door?

Nope. :) You've stumbled onto the "elephant I shot in my pajamas" problem
that has been dealt with in HolQeD (I don't recall which issue) by Dr
Okrand, and also recently on the list when I tried to translate the Groucho
Marx joke

"Yesterday I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I'll
never know."

into Klingon. It comes out something like

{wa'Hu' nIvnavwIjDaq mIl'oD vIHoHta'. qatlh nIvnavwIj tuQ? jISovbe'.}

While I doubt Groucho Marx ever clapped eyes on a sabre bear :D, the
sentence is ambiguous in exactly the same way as the English is ambiguous.
Either "I saw my daughter while *she* was at the door" or "I saw my daughter
while *I* was at the door" is acceptable as an interpretation, and only
context can answer your question.

If you're looking for a sentence yourself, maybe try {lojmIt veghDI'
puqbe'wI' vIlegh}.

Savan.

QeS lagh

Get Extra Storage in 10MB, 25MB, 50MB and 100MB options now! Go to
http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-au&page=hotmail/es2

Back to archive top level