tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 30 04:48:21 2004

language change or inappropriate description?

In a message dated 2004-03-30 12:06:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Note how "That's I" (or "That is I") sounds odd - at
> least, stuffy and formal - to most native English-speakers despite being
> technically correct according to the (artificial, Latin-based)
> prescriptivist rules of English grammar.

at the risk of being off-topic:  i have been under the impression that "it is
i" used to be the normal colloquial way to say this phrase, and it has
changed in recent centuries (if not mere decades) to the current colloquial form
"it's me."  latin messed up english grammar pretty badly, but i don't think it
can take all the blame for this one.
lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level