tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 27 23:05:06 2004

Re: about

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' SIvten:

>how can i translate (or convey) the idea of 'about' as in 'this book is
>about biology' or 'i'm thinking about my last birthday party'?

Well, a couple of years ago I inquired of the list how we could give
{ja'chuq}, "to discuss", an object, since TKD explicitly says that {-chuq}
takes "no direct object" prefixes. Otherwise, we could only say "we discuss,
we confer", and not "we discuss Klingon": ??{tlhIngan Hol maja'chuq} would
make about as much sense as, to use another example, *{yuQ jIleng}.

I don't recall who suggested this, but the idea given was to use {-'e'}, but
keep the noun in the normal Type 5 position. For instance:

   {tlhIngan Hol'e' maja'chuq} "We discuss Klingon"
   {tlhIngan Hol'e' SoQ vImuch} "I present a lecture about Klingon"
        (basically "I present a lecture, and Klingon is the topic").

po'wI'vaD: taQ 'e' boHar'a', pagh bolajlaH'a'?

That's just for those two ideas, though. I very much like Holtej's
suggestion of using {qel} for these two sentences: {yIn QeD qel paqvam}
"this book is about biology", {wa' ben qaSpu'bogh qoSwIj lopno''e' vIqel}
"I'm thinking about my last birthday party".

Savan.

QeS lagh

What's your house worth? Click here to find out:
http://www.ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Back to archive top level