tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 25 16:01:25 2004

Re: That's not canon

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

Voragh:
>But De'vID doesn't realize that the two .wav files in question were, in
>fact, in the final version they distributed:

I know the .wav file is on the CD, what I meant when I said it wasn't
in the final product was that it wasn't used anywhere in the program
itself.  It isn't "visible" to people who just use the game and didn't
look through the files.

Voragh:
>If you wanted to, you can go through the CDs and play each and every .wav
>file in sequence -- which is how it was discovered.

When I find my CDs I'll be sure to do this.  Sounds like fun.

Voragh:
>I agree with SuStel:  It's important to realize that all this material was
>always canonical, but until its publication, it was just unknown to the
>wider community of Klingonists.  Canonicity is not the same thing as
>publicity.

You make a good point.  Presumably Okrand has private notes on Klingon
which are canonical but non-public.  They become public canon when
released.

If <Dajatlhbogh vIyajbe'> is considered canon, how can this be
reconciled with what we know about <-bogh>?

Voragh:
>Absolutely.  The fact that the game writers dropped whatever trigger that
>caused this sound file to be played is utterly irrelevant.  Okrand wrote it
>and AFAIK he has never disowned it;  unfortunately, AFAIK he has never
>explained - or explained away! - the odd grammar either.

Someone should ask him.

--
De'vID

MSN Premium helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*