tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 16 13:12:58 2004

Re: Imperatives with {-eghmoH}, round 2

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' SuStel:

>While the Crime Ensign may enjoy speaking in his native dialect, he's
>marking himself as a country bumpkin to be ridiculed.

yIqaw: <Ensign QeS is happy to discover he can speak his dialect here *if he
wishes*> jIjatlh.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm not advocating that
every member of the list choose a dialect and we all have to begin learning
every dialect; your point is a good one. Every Klingon would be expected to
know the dialect of the current Emperor. In addition, it'd be hell for
beginners to the list, qar'a'? Klingon is hard enough without having to
complicate the issue right from the start.

As you said, though, what we know of the dialects is canon Klingon. The
pronunciations are well documented for some of them, and they appear to be
usable.

In short: wa' DoS wIqIp. All your points are valid, and well argued.
Dialects *can* be fun. In my opinion, it probably wouldn't hurt for more
experienced Klingon speakers to familiarise themselves with them, and it
would make for some interesting times at {qep'a'}, I'd imagine, if someone
were to get up and make a speech in Krotmag Klingon. :) But it confuses the
less experienced among us, and if we're not careful, we could end up with
splinter groups rather than one central {tlhIngan Hol tetlh}. That's the
most dangerous possibility in my mind. While we probably shouldn't rule out
the occasional posting (such as those we exchanged), {ta' Hol} should be the
cultural norm.

I do like the way my name pans out in Morskan, though: {HeS lagh} (in {ta'
Hol}, "The Crime Ensign"). Has a nice ring to it. I just hope Dr Okrand
doesn't end up making {QeS} mean something like "body odour". :D

Savan.

QeS lagh

Personalise your mobile chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to
http://ringtones.com.au/ninemsn/control?page=/ninemsn/main.jsp

Back to archive top level