tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 03 11:05:06 2004

Re: Klingon Honor Guard

RNButler2 wrote:

>'avwl'batlh

"guard's honor, honor of the guard" (possesive)

"Honor guard" would be a noun-noun phrase: {batlh 'avwI'}.  Someone else,
in fact, has already back-translated the title of this game as *{tlhIngan
batlh 'avwI'} "Klingon Honor Guard".

>ghop qul

"hand's fire" or "hand-fire"

>"Qo'nos' noS rogvaH toy: jiH Suvwl' mey ghojmoH."

{Qo'noS}  "Kronos"
{noS}     "eat in small mouthfuls, to nibble"!  This is probably the last
            syllable of {Qo'noS} repeated inadvertently.
{roghvaH} "population"
{toy'}    "serve (a master)"

   Qo'noS toy' roghvaH  (?)
   The population serves Kronos.

jIH  I
SuvwI'mey  warriors (pl. is {SuvwI'pu'}}
ghojmoH  teach

I bet this is supposed to mean "I teach warriors" or:

   SuvwI'pu' vIghojmoH jIH.
   *I* teach warriors.

If this is to be read together with the first bit, then:

   Qo'noS roghvaH lutoy'meH, SuvwI'pu' vIghojmoH jIH.
   *I* teach warriors in order for them to serve Kronos' population.

   Qo'noS roghvaH lutoy' SuvwI'pu' 'e' vIghojmoH jIH.
   *I* teach that warriors serve Kronos' population.
   *I* teach warriors to serve Kronos' population.

I bet they intended {Qo'noS roghvaH} to mean "the people of Kronos".  (They
probably couldn't find "people" as a separate entry in the TKD
glossary.)  If so, that's not bad for the people collectively, all the
planet's people together.

>"matay' molor mangghom/mey Qaw'lu"

{tay'}    "be together, be united"
{molor}   "Molor" (the evil tyrant of Klingon legend)
{mangHom} "cadet" (pl. is {mangHompu'})
{Qaw'}    "destroy" (or perhaps {qaw} "remember"?)

I'm not sure what they're trying to say here.  What there is (with the
necessary changes) means:

   matay';  molor mangghompu' luQaw'lu'.
   "We are together; Molor's cadets are destroyed."

   matay';  molor mangghompu' luqawlu'.
   "We are together; Molor's cadets are remembered."

What is the context for this line in the rule booklet?  What does Molor
have to do with the game?

>DuSaQ

"school"

>Dun vajpu' DusQmey

"the warriors' schools {DuSaQmey} are wonderful/great"

But {vaj} is not used in the plural.  Cf. KGT (p.50):

   The third word for "warrior", {vaj}, refers more to the notion
   of warriorhood or the idea of being a warrior than it does to an
   individual warrior. In this way, it resembles {veS} ("warfare")
   and {vIq} ("combat").

This should either be {vaj DuSaQmey} "warrior schools, schools of
warriorhood" or {SuvwI'pu' DuSaQmey} "warriors' schools", i.e. the school
of a specific group of warriors.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons