tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 29 12:08:17 2004

Re: qa' - scope in ST5 et al.

lay'tel SIvten:

>What is the status of the word {qa'} meaning "Scope!" that Captain Klaa uses
>in ST5 right before he shoots the "nejwI' tIQ"?  I can't find it anywhere
>else.

Here's the relevant portion from my notes:

   Vixis: tlha'a HoD, DoS wIpuStaH.  nejwI' tIQ 'oH.
          "Captain Klaa, we have a target in sight. A probe of ancient origin."

   Klaa:  qIpmeH Qatlh'a'?
          "Difficult to hit?"

   Vixis  Qatlhqu'.
          "Most difficult."

   Klaa:  maj.  vISeHmeH Hoch nuHmey Qay!
          "Good. All weapons to my control. Scope!"

This is a clipped {Qay} "transfer!":  "For me to control them, transfer all
weapons!"

Thus, there is no word for "scope" in this scene.  The closest we have for
the object that descended from the ceiling is {SeHlaw} "control panel,
console".  IIRC the scope had targeting and firing controls on it, so it
was more than just a simple scope or viewer.

>Is the (Klingon) text of ST5 available anywhere besides HolQeD v8n4p11-13?
>How about the other movies?

There are searchable versions of TKD and other canon sources on-line at the
Swedish fan site "Klingonska Akademien":

   http://klingonska.org/

Don't worry; the site is also in English although I couldn't find where the
transcripts for the motion pictures are located.  If you use the Search
feature, you will find hits for the ST5 line you're asking about.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level