tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 21 15:14:34 2004

Re: mIvDaq yIH

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:

>Since phrases like {mIvDaq yIH} ('cat in the hat') have been pretty
>thoroughly discredited, how is the following phrase from BoP to be
>interpreted?
>37. {telDaq wovmoHwI'mey}
>     Wing Lights   (BoP)

Interesting. I wasn't aware of this bit of canon when I wrote up the "Cat in
the Hat" problem on the Wiki page.

It seems, then, that {mIvDaq yIH} would be OK as just a descriptive noun
phrase. However, {mIvDaq yIH} (and {telDaq wovmoHwI'mey}) cannot be part of
any sensible sentence and keep their unambiguous meaning:

{mIvDaq yIH vIlegh} - "I see the tribble in the hat"

could mean "I see the tribble while it is in the hat", or "I see the tribble
while I am in the hat", or "I see the tribble while we are both in the hat".

But thanks for bringing this bit of canon to our attention. I think I might
need to change the Wiki now to reflect this.

QeS lagh

Smart Saving with ING Direct ? earn 5.25% p.a. variable rate:
http://ad.au.doubleclick.net/clk;7249209;8842331;n?http://www.ingdirect.com.au/burst6offer.asp?id=8

Back to archive top level