tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 13 23:17:35 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: Dol (n)

ja' QeS lagh:
>ghItlhpu' Holtej:
>
>>Additional Notes:
>>TKW p. 209 adds the meaning "whole."
>
>vaj "the whole ship" mughmeH {Duj Dol} wIlo'laH'a'?

ghobe'!

{Dol} is a noun meaning "entity".  The "added meaning" in TKW is in the
translation of {wa' Dol nIvDaq matay'DI' maQap}: "We succeed together in a
greater whole."

"Whole" here is not an adjective or descriptive noun.  The primary meaning
of "entity" is still appropriate, and the use of English "whole" is a
creative choice to make the translated phrase flow better.  [Well,
actually, the use of Klingon {Dol} is the creative choice, since the
English came first...]

>qech'e' 'oSbogh {nIn Dol} vIyajchu'be'qu'.

British Petroleum? :-P

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level