tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 03 14:18:47 2004

Re: Translation

In a message dated 2004-06-03 11:58:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> > > Tyler Fisher:

SuStel:
> >I don't agree with the {-Daj}: "its" in "its own enemy" in the English
> >doesn't refer to the thing you can't control, it refers to the "thinking."
>
> Possibly.  To me "its" refers to "what you can't control".
>
> >And without the {-Daj}, there's really no reason to add the {-'e'} either.

The subject of the English is "Thinking about what you can't control".  It
has two conjoined clauses:  "only wastes energy" and "(only) creates its own
enemy".  The only thing "its own" can refer back to is the subject of the whole
sentence: "Thinking about what you can't control".  The "what you can't
control" is only part of the subject and not part of either predicate.

I agree that Fisher's translation captures the thought well.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level