tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 01 07:31:53 2004

Re: Word Definition

Voragh:
> >{veH}  "boundary, frontier, barrier" (n.)

De'vID:
>Hmm... I have only "boundary" in my notes, and I don't have my
>books to verify the source (presumably TKD).  Where/when were the
>additional "frontier, barrier" definitions added?

"boundary" (TKD glossary)

"frontier" (SkyBox DS99)

  - veH Qav 'oH logh'e'
    space--the final frontier  (DS99)

"boundary, border" (KGT p.194)

  - jogh veH lungIv
    They patrol the quadrant border. (KGT)

"barrier" (ST5)

  - 'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'!
    But Captain, that course will take us into the [Great] Barrier as well.
(ST5)

This refers to the massive energy field surrounding the planet
QI'tu'/Paradise/Vorta-vor where the god-creature was imprisoned.  (This may
be an error for {HeH} "edge, rim".  The error may well be mine, though I
believe I distinctly heard a /v/ when I transcribed the dialog several
years ago.)

>(btw did you see my question about <Se'> vs. <chaDvay'>?

Sorry; I missed it.

>Have there been any canon examples of these?  Thanks.)

This is an old question.  Here's what I have:

{Se'}  "frequency"
  - DIvI' Se' wI'IjtaHvIS DaH ngoqDe' wIHevta'
    We've just received an encoded message on the Federation frequency.
(ST5 notes)
  - jolbogh ghom wa'DIch DamuvlaHmeH De' DaneHchugh, Se'vam yIjIHtaH
    Stay tuned for information on how you can be among the first to beam
aboard! (STX)

{rI'Se'}  "hailing frequency"

{'evnagh Se'}  "subspace radio" (S19) [i.e. the system, not the device?]
  - labmeH 'evnagh Se' lo' tlhIngan QumwI'
    A Klingon communicator sends a signal through subspace radio. (S19)

{'evnagh Se' HablI'}  "subspace radio" (KBoP) [i.e. the device]

{chaDvay'}  "radio frequency (KGT), Hertz (HolQeD 1.3 < "veS QonoS" newsletter)
  - [no examples in canon]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons