tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 29 09:13:31 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: Hon (v)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, January 29, 2004.
>
>Klingon word:   Hon
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     doubt

As discussed by Okrand:

   ... in the construction {S 'e' V}, where S is a sentence, {'e'} is
   the pronoun ("that") which refers to a previous topic (in this case
   S), and V is one of the verbs listed above (as well as some others)
   ... One other verb that can be used in the V slot in such sentences
   is {Hon} "doubt": {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' vIHon} "I doubt that you
   speak Klingon."  (st.klingon 7/01/97)

   The word {na'} literally means "be salty," but its slang usage is
   probably influenced by the noun suffix {-na'} ("definite"), which is
   used when the speaker wants to indicate that he or she is absolutely
   sure about what is being said (compare {maghwI'}, "traitor," and
   {maghwI'na'} "definite traitor, without a doubt a traitor"). The
   slang word, a verb, is used in such constructions as {jIna'} ("I am
   positive [about something I just said]"; literally, "I am salty"]
   and {bIna''a'} ("Are you sure?"; literally, "Are you salty?").
   These kinds of meanings may be expressed without using slang by
   employing such verbs as {Honbe'} ("not doubt") or {Sovbej} ("know
   for certain").  (KGT 157)

   The notions expressed by {bej} ["be sure, definite, positive, certain"]
   can be conveyed without slang with a word such as {Honbe'} ("not doubt")
   or by making use of the verb suffix {-bej}, as in {HIvrupbej} ("They're
   certainly ready to attack").  (KGT 145)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons