tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 28 14:13:06 2004

Re: Klingon movies revisited

From: <[email protected]>

> A while back, we had a discussion about fan-produced Klingon
> movies (again), and the concensus was (again) that Paramount
> was like a rabid dog and we shouldn't poke them with a stick.
>
> I've just become aware of two fan-produced sites with movies
> based on the characters from TOS: Star Trek: New Voyages and
> Starship Exeter. They appear to have "copyright infringement"
> written all over them, yet they exist, and appear to have done
> so for quite a while.
>
> So, if these folks can do it, why couldn't a group of Klingon enthusiasts?

"A group of Klingon enthusiasts" might get away with it, but the Klingon
Language Institute cannot.  The KLI is licensed by Paramount to use the main
Klingon trademarks and the language for the study and promotion of the
language, not for making movies.  It's only allowed to produce printed
materials, probably not audio (which is a shame, because Conversation
Klingon and Power Klingon have just gone out of print), and definitely not
video.  The KLI's license is too precious to risk on trying to make Klingon
movies, even if they contain spoken Klingon.

If that group you mention went and made a movie, that's another thing, so
long as it's clear that the KLI is not involved.  Remember, though, the fate
of Chet Braun's book, Secret Fighting Arts of the Warrior Race.  He produced
it without official help by the KLI (though the people who helped with it
happened to be KLI members), and Paramount found out and made him burn the
rest of his inventory.

SuStel
Stardate 4076.2

(The above is just my understanding of the situation; I have no power to
speak for the KLI!  Lawrence might be able to give you more details.)

Back to archive top level