tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 22 07:21:27 2004

Re: Beginner

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "christoph.pichlmann" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 7:02 AM
Subject: Re: Beginner

> Christoph:
> *website*wIj noychoHmeH, vay' Sajatlh:
> To make my website well-known, I tell you something:

It is *you* who is *making* your site become well-known, right?
So add the prefix indicating "I-it", and throw a {-moH} in there:
*website*wIj vInoychoHmoHmeH, vay' Sajatlh.
(Good use of the prefix trick, BTW)

> Christoph:
> *website*wIjDaq, -SuvwI' van bom- *video* vIghaj.
> On my website, I have a video of -The warriors anthem-.

{majQa'!}

> Christoph:
> *Star Trek: Klingon* QujDaq vItlhapta'mo', QaQbe' _cha'lI'ghach_.
> Because I took it from the game *Star Trek: Klingon*, the display is
> not good.

The first part means "Because I took it *to* the ST:K Game". Use {-vo'}
"from" instead of {-Daq}:
{*Star Trek: Klingon* Qujvo' vItlhapta'mo', QaQbe' *cha'lI'ghach*}

> Christoph:
> 'e' nIvchoHmeH, vIvumtaH.
> I am working(not knowing when or if I will succeed), so it becomes
> better(superior).

Drop the {'e'}. It indicates an object, and AFAWK, {nIv} does not take one.
Also, {vum} probably doesn't, either, so the prefix needs to be {jI-}:
{nIvchoHmeH, jIvumtaH}
I like your use of {-taH} (as opposed to {-lI'}) on {vum}. It does a good
job of giving the "feel" of "when and if I will succeed."

> Notes: There are many words I couldn't translate, for example "website"
> - so I used the english word  instead of trying a unfitting
> translation.

A good practice.

> Christoph:
>  Also, I didn t found a word for "quality" or "picture" or
> "video", so I used _cha'lI'ghach_ instead.

AFAIK, we have no word for those ideas. Yet. }}: )

Some vocabulary you might not be aware of:
{Hov leng} "Star Trek"
{Dub} "to improve" (probably does not take an object)

And one bit of "unofficial" Klingon:
{Daq} "place" is sometimes used to indicate a website on this list, as is
{nav}"paper, page".

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute