tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 19 06:03:44 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {rup}

Lieven L. Litaer (Quvar) ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Hello!

{rup} defined as "fine, tax"

- a penalty one pays is a fine, but not a tax
- a tax is a charge imposed by authority
- or: a sum levied on the members of an organization to defray its expenses
- or: a heavy charge or demand exacted [I think it's not this one, it doesn't contain "fine"]

so with the addition of "tax", I'm pretty much sure that this is not just a penalty one pays (btw, a klingon would not be forced to pay a
fine; he'd be dishonored, or killed or so.... :-)

For a "tax" which is a "fine", I only found one definition that suits both:

   "a money payment made by a tenant to his lord on a particular occasion"
[but when I now read it again, it doesn't look too perfect]

Quvar.

Back to archive top level