tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 05 23:06:59 2004

Re: MOST terminology

Christian Einfeldt ([email protected])

On Saturday 03 January 2004 02:45, Lieven Litaer wrote:
> > Well, yes, except that if Klingonists want to have their own
> > office suite to use to create spread sheets in Klingon,
> > sophisticated word documents in Klingon, graphs, computer
> > generated drawings, etc, in Klingon, then it will be helpful to
> > generate translations for the words on this list linked below.
>
> You're right, it's great to have some software with klingon menus -
> but I've seen the list, and I admit that I don't even understand
> most of the english words! Actually, even in German I don't always
> know what the thing means until I use it.

Yeah, we just have to start and to test it.

> > As I understand it, "localized" means that when you bring up the
> > program, rather than seeing the English words "File", "Edit",
> > "View", etc on your word processing tool bar, you instead see the
> > romanized Klingon equivalents.
>
> Hm?? Yes, I hope you don't want to use any Klingon letters!

Not yet, as we are having a tough enough time with romanized Klingon.

> For these basic things you mention ("File", "Edit", "View") there
> are "a few" programs on the web you could refer to, like Holtej's
> pojwI'. But when I see things like "SvDraw Autoshape Adjustment" or
> just "Spreadsheet"...
>
> > underline only those words which were misspelled in Klingon!
>
> Woow! Forget about that!
> First of all, new words come frequently.

It's also easy to update open source software, so no biggie there!

> And much worse is the agglutination (suffixes). The spellchecker
> must either be able to recognize the grammar (like suffix order), or
> you need to enter every single possible construction.

Yeah, this will be tough, no doubt.

> And from grammar:
>
> {Dabej nuq} is correct.
> {nuq Dabej} is correct too, but has a different meaning. :-)

I have noticed that already.  Okay, so this is going to be a difficult
localization.  We knew that from day one.  We just have to keep moving
one small step at a time.

> > hell it is that you are doing. "What application is THAT?   It
> > LOOKS like Microsoft Word, but what are all those strange words on
> > the tool bar?
>
> My desktop has only Klingon text, and I made the icons all the same.
> NOBODY can use my computer :-)

Heh.  I like that.

qoloS

Back to archive top level