tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 05 13:45:54 2004

Re: Klingon Rap

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 12:39:35 EST, [email protected] wrote:

> could you tell me how to say this as an imperative. like "Don't
> argue (and/or) disagree with me!

Don't argue: yIghoHQo'! (to one person), peghoHQo'! (to multiple people)

Don't disagree: yIQochQo'! / peQochQo'!

> how do you say to someone not to do a specific thing , like "Don't
> do this/ that/ it!"?

With no object, yI- + verb + -Qo' to one person and pe- + verb + -Qo' to
multiple people.

yI- / pe- are the imperative prefixes you-none and YOU-none,
respectively; -Qo' is used with imperatives to make them negatives
("Don't ...!").

> and how do you say: "You can't make me do this/that/it."?

My take on this: choruchmoHlaHbe' "You can't make me go ahead and do it"
(or with other verbs instead of {ruch}, as appropriate)

cho-: you-me
ruch: proceed, go ahead, do it
-moH: make, cause
-laH: be able
-be': negative

> and "you can't stop me from doing this/that/it!"

jIruch 'e' chomevmoHlaHbe' "You can't make me stop going ahead and doing
(it)"

jI-: I-none
'e': that (transforms a sentence into an object of a verb)
mev: stop, cease

Grammar based on {bIjatlh 'e' yImev} "Shut up! Stop talking!";
literally, something like "I go ahead and do; you cannot make me stop
that".

Philip

Back to archive top level