tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 04 23:17:45 2004

Re: pajamas

Ian D. Stewart ([email protected])

On Sunday 04 January 2004 12:13, [email protected] wrote:
> In a message dated 2004-01-04 2:14:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>
> [email protected] writes:
> > So, although "two pajamases" looks weird [btw - is there a plural in
> > english?] I believe that one can say {cha' nIvnavmey} and {cha'
> > yopwaHmey}
>
> singular of "pajamas" is "pajama", as in "pajama top" or "pajama party",
> but it's only used in the plural when talking about the garment as a whole.
>  for more than one such garment, i use "pair of pajamas", as in "5 pairs of
> pajamas", which makes "pajama" seem like half of a pair of something, but
> it's not. you can also say "he has lots of pajamas", meaning "lots of pairs
> of pajamas." it's like the word "scissors".

I don't know about tlhIngan-Hol, but many Terran languages have a dual case
which is reserved for use when referring to items that only come in pairs
(eyes, ears, pants, pajamas, etc)

'yen

Back to archive top level