tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 04 11:08:00 2004

pajamas

In a message dated 2004-01-04 2:14:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> So, although "two pajamases" looks weird [btw - is there a plural in
> english?] I believe that one can say {cha' nIvnavmey} and {cha' yopwaHmey}

singular of "pajamas" is "pajama", as in "pajama top" or "pajama party", but
it's only used in the plural when talking about the garment as a whole.  for
more than one such garment, i use "pair of pajamas", as in "5 pairs of
pajamas", which makes "pajama" seem like half of a pair of something, but it's not.
you can also say "he has lots of pajamas", meaning "lots of pairs of pajamas."
it's like the word "scissors".
stevo (aka lay'tel SIvten)

Back to archive top level