tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 03 05:13:10 2004

Re: paSlogh wa'

Lieven Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

> might it not be that {paSlogh} means "pair of socks", thus being a
> singular noun with its own plural?  the english translation of "socks" is
still
> accurate, but misleading.

it *might* be, it is *possible*, and *maybe*. :-)

I never thought about that very closely, because I think in daily use, when
someone says "I can't find my socks", the meaning is usually "pair of socks".

btw, "pajamas" is plural in english, perhaps because it's usually made of
two pieces. In Dutch or German, it's the same word, but singular!
English "pants" is plural, but nobody says "I broke my left pant"...

That's why I used to see {paSlogh} as a pair.

So, although "two pajamases" looks weird [btw - is there a plural in
english?] I believe that one can say {cha' nIvnavmey} and {cha' yopwaHmey}

I think we need to ask Maltz again to be sure :-)

Quvar.