tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 05 17:08:45 2004

Re: Testing.

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlh Paul:
>Ah, but remember /-ta'/ is the suffix that says the action was completed.
>Not saying this validates the expression at all, but /muvta'/ if you look
>at /muvta'/ as "joined (intentionally)", adding /-ghach/ should create a
>noun which is the attribute of having joined, or describes the state of
>something which has joined.  Once a person has joined, they will always
>have been joined (arguably, even if they then unjoined, they will still
>always have joined at some point in time).

That's an interesting argument. A {muvta'ghach} probably would still go on
after the *{muvghach} had been completed. I concede that point. But I still
stand by my argument that a {muvta'ghach} isn't something you can buy or
acquire - if you change the verb, to {Sop} for instance, this becomes very
clear: can you imagine giving someone a {Sopta'ghach} for Christmas? :)

>If */muvghach/ was legal, I might translate that into "the joining", like
>"the joining of the group".  But I think with the suffix, /muvta'ghach/
>more refers to "the state of having joined", which seems inline with the
>concept of a "subscription".

Agreed. The problem lies in that "subscription" has two meanings in English
that are often confused: the action of subscribing, and the actual
membership, considered a commodity, which I don't think the Klingon
{muvta'ghach} expresses. I probably wouldn't say something like {muvta'ghach
qaje'} "I buy you a subscription" - I'd just say {qamuvmoHta'} "I have
caused you to join".

If it's the action of subscribing that the site refers to, by all means use
{muvta'ghach}. I'd be wary of using it for the other meaning, though. This
is where context is important.

>It ain't perfect, but I doubt we'd really get perfection in this case.

True. {{:D

>I wonder if we could convince the next friend of Maltz to ask for a bevvy
>of
>internet service concept words like "subscribe", "log in", "log out",
>maybe some idea of how menu items should be terms (commands? /-meH/
>clauses? etc)....

IIRC there hasn't been a Friend of Maltz for some time. It'd certainly be
interesting to ask, though...

Savan.

QeS lagh

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

SEEK: Now with over 60,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level