tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 05 06:03:45 2004

Re: Testing.

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlh Paul:
>There's a rule somewhere that /-ghach/ can't be placed on a bare verb; ie.
>there would have to be a suffix in there somewhere. One could always
>weasle out with something like /muvta'ghach/ using the /-ta'/ suffix to
>indicate the action was completed.  "Joined-ation"  Could be construed
>properly, perhaps...

I'd interpret it into English as "having joined" or "joining":
{muvta'ghachchajmo' mabel} "we are pleased because of their joining". I'd
probably shy away from {-ghach}; but then, I seem to always shy away from
it. {{:D

The way I understand {-ghach}, it would only work in this case if
"subscription" meant the act of subscribing, rather than an actual
membership (which the site seems to be asking for). IMO, it would be
impossible to buy a {muvta'ghach}; you could only {muv}, and the act of
{muv}ing is the {muvta'ghach}. That may involve transfer of money, but
that's part of the {muvta'ghach}: the action of joining. Once you're
subscribed, you don't have a {muvta'ghach} any more. That's the way I see
it: in the verb-focused grammar of Klingon, {-ghach} refers to an action (in
this case, subscribing), not to any result of the action (the subscription
or membership).

Sorry if this is a bit unclear. It all makes sense in my head, but
translating it from {QeS yab Hol} to English... that's a different story.
{{:D

>/-ghach/ has always been that suffix that seems like it's what we all
>want, but then doesn't seem to be correctly defined to do what we want. :P

To be honest, I think we could really use a bit more guidance from MO in
terms of what we can and can't do with {-ghach}, since it's not well
attested in canon. That being said, Klingon is very much verb-focused, so
the fact that {-ghach} is difficult to use is perhaps not a bad thing. :)

Another two cents' worth: I like ter'eS's idea of using {-meH} verbs.
They're short and to the point. My only issue would be whether it's possible
to use a {-meH} clause on its own - the rest of the sentence would, I guess,
have to be tacitly supplied by context. Failing that, imperatives could work
too: {QonoSvam yIbejchoH} "start watching this journal!"

Savan.

QeS lagh

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

SEEK: Now with over 60,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level