tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 26 04:31:43 2004

Re: waH

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Philip:
>The intended translation was "someone who is me", that is, someone
>that {jIH}s. Hence, {latlh jIHwI'} for "another someone-who-is-me".

Very interesting concept, even if it turns out to be ungrammatical. Myself,
I'd probably say {jIHbogh latlh} instead... but that's only because we
already have canon for pronoun plus {-bogh}.  I don't see any substantial
difference between the two, since they're both noun phrases. You should just
make sure "alter ego" is the meaning you are communicating. When I first see
either {latlh jIHwI'} or {jIHbogh latlh}, I'm tempted to translate it as
"alternate personality" in the context of multiple personality disorder.

Actually, this usage of a Type 9 suffix on a pronoun-as-verb makes me wonder
what {jIHtaHghach} might mean. Hm... puts me in mind of a line from the song
"Superman" by Five for Fighting: "It's not easy to be me". Would (for
example) {ngeDbe' jIHtaHghach} "my quality of continuing to be is not easy"
even be understood in this way?

Savan.

QeS lagh

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Feeling spent? Apply here for emergency plastic surgery:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;9577691;9687279;r?http://www.promo.com.au/virgincreditcard/plasticsurgery/track.cfm?source=P08

Back to archive top level