tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 24 19:55:02 2004

Re: ST6 and {pagh}

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:

>Azetbur: 'e' neHbe' vavwI'.                              [or vavoy]
>          (That wasn't what my father wanted.)
>I hear:  'e' naHbe' papoy. [or 'baboy']

I agree that it does sound almost like {'e' naHbe'}. (BTW, this is the only
occasion I know of where {neH} uses {'e'}.) But I'd transcribed the last
word as ?{vavoI'}, almost as though {w} becomes syllabic here.

>So it could be either {vavwI'} or {vavoy}.  She addressed her father
>directly as {vavoy} during the toast on the Enterprise, but when she's
>talking to other people, such as her new advisers, I think she'd use the
>more usual (less intimate) {vavwI'}.

maQochbe'. {vavoy} is used mostly in direct address in my (limited)
experience. I'd guess that an adult Klingon would never say {DaHjaj vavoy
vIlegh}, even when referring to her/his father in endearing terms.

QeS lagh

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

All only $4! Get the latest mobile tones, images and logos:
http://fun.mobiledownloads.com.au/191191/index.wl

Back to archive top level