tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 24 07:31:43 2004

Re: ST6 and {pagh}

Voragh:
> > Could we be hearing:
> >
> >    DIHIvbe'ch[ugh] qo'chajDaq toy'wI''a' DImoj.
> >
> > i.e. /dee-HEEV-bech/ - with an unpronounced /'/ and a dropped or swallowed
> > /ugh/?

lay'SIv:
>Anything's possible.  In fact, this is my preferred interpretation.

The more I think about it, I think so too.  {-bej} doesn't really make any
sense here, certainly not without some kind of Type 9 suffix or conjunction
between the two clauses.  {DIHIvbe'chugh...} also fits better as a response
to the previous line.

So, here's my current transcript of the war council scene on Kronos One
after Gorkon's assassination:

Kerla:   DIHIvlaHtaHvIS DaH DIHIvnIS!
          (Attack them now, while we still can!)

Khmarr:  DIHIvbe'ch[ugh] qo'chajDaq toy'wI''a' DImoj.          (?)
          (Attack or be slaves in their world.)

Grokh:   Qo'!  pe'vIl DIHIvlaH, <kapla> tlhob <be---HaH >.    (???)
          (We can take whole by force, what they propose to divide.)

Azetbur: ghu'maj Dayajbe'law', Sa'.
          (untranslated)
          {"You don't seem to grasp our situation, General. [novel]}
Azetbur: notlh veS... 'a tugh manotlhchoH je maH.
          (War is obsolete, General...as we are in danger of becoming.)
          {War is...obsolete. As we are in danger of becoming.
[novel]}

Kerla:   <<QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS.>>
          ("Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.")

Azetbur: 'e' neHbe' vavwI'.                              [or vavoy]
          (That wasn't what my father wanted.)

Chang:   Your father was killed for what he wanted.

Since you've listened to the scene a few times, any guess as to what Grokh
is saying after {Qo'}?  I could only make out three of his mumbled words.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level