tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 24 05:53:15 2004

Re: Mailing list search function // WIKI commands

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' (???) Christoph:
>tetlh ra'wI'mey vIlobmeH, tlhIngan jIghItlhtaH. 'e' muqeq. jIqeqnISba'.
>SKI: To follow the list rules, I will write on in klingon. That trains
>me. I need to practice, obviously. (anyway)

jangpu' ngabwI':
>{tlhIngan vIghItlhtaH} sounds like "I'm making marks on a Klingon",
>depending on how {ghItlh} actually works. As was shown by Voragh in the
>{ghItlh} {Qub} {Har} "If You're Happy", etc. ueberthread, {ghItlh} has very
>little to do with writing. It's only making marks on whatever.

It just has to do with actual inscription, as evidenced by the word
{ghItlhwI'} "editor". An editor rarely does any kind of real "writing" -
more crossing out, ticking, scribbling. Also, in KGT we are told that a
{ghItlhwI'} "stylus" is used in sculpture, and in this function is an
"inscriber" rather than a "writing implement".

>So to be safe(r), I suggest {lo'} "to use":
>{tlhIngan Hol vIlo'} "I will use Klingon"

I'll just add a little something to what ngabwI' said (which was all correct
IMHO, and good style as well as grammar): Remember that {tlhIngan} refers to
a Klingon *person*. It appears to be derived etymologically from {tlhIng}
"Kling district on Kronos" + {ngan} "inhabitant". When you mean the Klingon
language, always say {tlhIngan Hol}.

(BTW: I'm not trying to pick on you. I just notice that you have done this a
couple of times in the past. Many of us have "pet mistakes", ones we make
fairly often - just try and keep them in mind all the time, and that's one
way to improve.)

Savan.

QeS lagh

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

In the market for a car? Buy, sell or browse at CarPoint:
http://server-au.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/b?cg=link&ci=ninemsn&tu=http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au?refid=hotmail_tagline

Back to archive top level