tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 24 04:47:37 2004

Re: Mailing list search function // WIKI commands

ngabwI' ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "christoph.pichlmann" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 3:09 AM
Subject: Re: Mailing list search function // WIKI commands

Just some corrections to your Klingon. }}: )

> >This is a religious war in the offing.  It isn't worth persuing.
> ja'chuqghach 'oH. muDaj, jIyaDHa'.
> SKI: It's a discussion. It interests me - honestly.

As a matter of style, I'd suggest {maja'chuq} "We are conferring". But your
first sentence is grammatically correct.
As for the other bit, {Daj} probably doesn't take an object, and {yaD} is a
"toe", or a "sword".
I suggest {jIHvaD Daj, jIyuDHa'} "It's interesting to me, I'm being honest."

> >Suffice to say that Wiki chooses not to use markup in the HTML-ish
> >sense, but rather punctuation characters, so as not to be intrusive
> when
> >you're reading the plaintext source.
> nuQHa' 'oH? chay'? ra'wI'mey vIngu'laHbe'chugh, lI'Ha' neH.
> SKI: Not intrusive(annoying)? How? If I cannot identify the commands,
> they are merely useless.

{nuQ} means "to annoy". As a style thing, I would suggest this to be {chay'
nuQbe'?} "How does it not annoy?". And careful with {neH}. It trivializes
the verb, but does not include the idea of "nothing more" when used on a
verb:
CORRECT: {puq vIqIp neH} "I only hit the childff (it's not like it was a big
deal)"
INCORRECT: {puq vIqIp neH} "I only hit the child (I did nothing further)"

> >If that bothers you, write to the
> >developers of any of the various forms of Wikis (some of which use
> >different standards for markup), not to us.
> -WIKI-lIj 'oHbej. vaj, SaghItlh.
> SKI: It is your WIKI, obviously. Thus I write to you.

maj. pabchu' mu'tlheghlIj. 'ach "definitely" 'oS {-bej}

> >The thinking probably is that punctuation
> >is easier to ignore than letters.
> qatlh buSHa'lu'? mu'tlheghmeyvaD 'ay'. qar'a'? vaj, laDmeHlu' napnIS
> 'oH.
> SKI: Why ignore it? It is a part of the text, right? Thus, to read it,
> it should be simple.

First sentence was good. Everything else is discussed below:
{mu'tlheghmey 'ay' 'oH, qar'a'?} "It's a part of the sentences, right?"
{-vaD} marks the beneficiary of the verb.
{napnIS laDlu'meH Qu'} "The task for someone to read needs to be simple."
{laDmeH} would also be just as acceptable. (Partially a grammar problem
(watch your suffix order), partially a style suggestion.)

> >There is room for disagreement on
> >that point, but the place for discussing such disagreement isn't here.
> vaj, nuqDaq 'oH Daq?
> SKI: Then where is a place for that?

Try {vaj nuqDaq 'oH Daqvetlh'e'?} "Where is that place"
You could also try {ja'chuqmeH Daq yIngu'!} "Indicate the place for
disscussion!"

> tetlh ra'wI'mey vIlobmeH, tlhIngan jIghItlhtaH. 'e' muqeq. jIqeqnISba'.
> SKI: To follow the list rules, I will write on in klingon. That trains
> me. I need to practice, obviously. (anyway)

{tlhIngan vIghItlhtaH} sounds like "I'm making marks on a Klingon",
depending on how {ghItlh} actually works. As was shown by Voragh in the
{ghItlh} {Qub} {Har} "If You're Happy", etc. ueberthread, {ghItlh} has very
little to do with writing. It's only making marks on whatever. So to be
safe(r), I suggest {lo'} "to use":
{tlhIngan Hol vIlo'} "I will use Klingon"
And try {muqeqmoH} "It causes me to practice" for the second one. {'e'
muqeq} "It(?) practices me?" doesn't make sense.
And {jIqeqISba'} is correct.

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian
Klingon Language Institute