tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 23 06:43:36 2004

Re: Mailing list search function // WIKI commands

Mark E. Shoulson ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

christoph.pichlmann wrote:

>From: Philip Newton <[email protected]>
>

>>Which is probably why WikiMarkup is *not* like that - because not
>>everyone knows (or wants to know) HTML.
>>

>No need to know HTML - memorizing that "b" is for "bold", "i" for
>"italic" and "u" would be "underlined" is enough. Not too hard, is it?

This is a religious war in the offing.  It isn't worth persuing.
Suffice to say that Wiki chooses not to use markup in the HTML-ish
sense, but rather punctuation characters, so as not to be intrusive when
you're reading the plaintext source.  If that bothers you, write to the
developers of any of the various forms of Wikis (some of which use
different standards for markup), not to us.

>>I confess that I haven't look on the tlhIngan Hol Wiki for a while but
>>I presume they use the "normal" method of ''double apostrophes'' for
>>italics and '''triple apostrophes''' for bold - which is intended to
>>be easier to read in the source and easier to write
>>

>It is? Honestly, I thought it was to made it almost impossible to
>understand it.

We changed the double-apostrophe and triple-apostrophe conventions a bit
since that would seriously mess up things in Klingon, where words that
have two consecutive apostrophes are not uncommon.  So we use
back-quotes and such instead.  The thinking probably is that punctuation
is easier to ignore than letters.  There is room for disagreement on
that point, but the place for discussing such disagreement isn't here.

~mark

Back to archive top level