tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 18 12:30:21 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: wej (adv)

Voragh:
> >Are you bothered by the homophony of English "two"/"too"/"to"?  "I see two"
> >and "I see too" sound exactly the same.  How do you keep them straight in
> >English?

De'vID:
>Well, "two" and "too" in English don't often occur in the same
>position in the sentence, and even when they do, their meanings
>are sufficiently different that they can be easily distinguished.
>You wouldn't confuse "I see two" with "I see too" because they
>wouldn't occur in the same context.  If the speaker meant "too"
>as in "also", he'd probably say "I see them too".  There would
>be an object in that position that would allow us to tell that
>"too" meant "also" and not the number.  If he meant "I see (i.e.
>understand) also" then "I see two (the number)" wouldn't make
>sense.

"I see them too" vs. "I see them two" (common error for "those two").

Don't forget substandard or dialectical variants.  After all, not everyone
speaks the Queen's English.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons