tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 13 17:30:21 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: wej (adv)

In a message dated 2004-08-13 4:46:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Are you bothered by the homophony of English "two"/"too"/"to"?  "I see two"
> and "I see too" sound exactly the same.  How do you keep them straight in
> English?
>
> How about "one"/"won"?  Or "four"/"for"/"for"?  Or "eight"/"ate"?  Or
> "none"/"nun".  Etc.

Almost all of these English homophones involve words that can't really be
confused with each other except out of context.   The exception is "too/two".
Many times I've avoided the word "too" and used the word "also" instead.  It
didn't sound as natural, but it got my point across.

(I just noticed that all the powers of two less than ten have homophones in
English:  one/won, two/too/to, four/for/fore, eight/ate, and you gave all of
them...  In fact, *all* of the homophones you gave are numbers, counting
"none/nun".  wow!)

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level