tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 13 12:05:44 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: mojaq (n)

> >Klingon word:   mojaq
> >Part of Speech: noun
> >Definition:     suffix
> >See also {mojaQ}.

QeS lagh:
>vaj {mojaQ} wIlo'laH net laj'a'?

Why not?  Both forms are listed in the TKD glossary:  {mojaq} in the
Klingon-English side and {mojaQ} in the English-Klingon.

>pagh ghItlhHa'pu' Marc Okrand (ghItlhwI'Daj ghap)?

Or the copy editor at Pocket Books (Simon & Schuster).

>mu' {moHaq}mo' cha'DIch DuH wIvlu' 'e' vIHar.

Considering that {moHaq} is listed in both sides as "prefix", it's probable
that {mojaq} was the intended form.  However, AFAIK Okrand has never used
or discussed either form so, for now, they're both available.

WILD SPECULATION ALERT...

It's almost certainly a coincidence, but I cannot help but noticing that
while there's only one type of prefix in Klingon (for verbs), there are two
different sets of suffixes:  one for verbs and the other for nouns.  If by
some chance it's not a typo, *perhaps* {mojaq} means "(verb) suffix" -
based purely on the similar ending of {moHaq} - and {mojaQ} "(noun)
suffix".  Just because we use the same word "suffix" for both nouns and
verbs doesn't mean that Klingon grammarians do.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level