tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 13 00:24:11 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: jogh (n)

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' ghunchu'wI':

>I swap the last two in recognition of the apparently changed Greek alphabet
>of Star Trek's 24th Century.  The tricorder controls -- and the galaxy's
>quadrants -- are labeled in the order Alpha, Beta, Delta, and Gamma.
>But that's probably just me.

I don't think it is just you. I suspect it might have to do with the way in
which the quadrants are named. AFAIK they're assigned names as you go around
the galaxy in a circle. Starting at the top left with Alpha (for the sake of
this argument), and going round clockwise, we end up with

A  |  B
D  |  G

If we read these with the standard English reading method (viz.
left-to-right and top-to-bottom) then we get the order Alpha - Beta - Delta
- Gamma, as you just described. Which Star Trek did you get this from?

QeS lagh

In the market for a car? Buy, sell or browse at CarPoint:
http://server-au.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/b?cg=link&ci=ninemsn&tu=http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au?refid=hotmail_tagline

Back to archive top level