tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 12 06:30:44 2004

Re: [email protected]?

ngabwI' ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thorwald Peeters" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 3:47 AM
Subject: Re: [email protected]?

> "WOT Canon" muHaghmoH.

{muHaghmoH "WOT Canon"} Watch your word order.

> Tera'Daq English Hol "what" [wot] Dajatlh.
> "wot Canon" [nuq Canon]  vIlaD.

Try {tera'Daq,"WOT Canon" DaghItlhchugh, "what canon?" vIlaD}.
"On Earth, if you write 'WOT Canon', I read 'what canon?'"

This is probably closer to what you were going for.
(If I'm wrong, let me know)

> [my troubles]
> Although I've been dabbling with the Klingon language for many a year, I
> am still in the look-up stage.

vaj yIqeqtaH! bIqeqchugh, Dubbej laHlIj. }}: )
Qu' DabuSchu'chugh, Qu' Data'laHbej.

> I was looking for a way to say "sounds like" and although I know you
> should really try to find an equivalent, I wasn't able to.

I agree completely with Phillip: {rur} "to resemble" is a perfect match:
"what canon?" rur "WOT Canon"

> Furthermore I've kept the Klingon as simple as possible, most likely to
> a (several) fault(s)...

maQummeH, mu'tlhegh nap qaq law', mu'tlhegh muj qaq puS.

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org