tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 09 10:55:55 2004

Re: Do you want to go to the qep'a'?

Lawrence M. Schoen ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

This saddens me. I have never turned anyone away from the qep'a',
nor was it my intention to create that impression this year. In
fact, it was at the qep'a' that I first learned of Eric's posts
to the list.

Clearly there has been a break down in communication. Here's how
it looked from my end:

7/5 - Email from Ronda:
Eric and I would like to attend the qepa' [sic] this year. What
is the cut off date for registration?

7/5 - My email reply to Ronda AND Eric:
The cut-off date WAS July 1st, but if you can move swiftly (i.e.,
use the KLI's Merchant page to pay for your registration in the
next 24 hours) I can still accommodate you both. But I need know
NOW, as various orders related to the qep'a' go in first thing
Tuesday morning.

7/7 - Another email to Ronda and Eric:
Well folks? What's the wrod? I'd love to have you both at the
qep'a', but I need an answer from you now (and if the answer is
"yes" then I need money now).

Because I didn't hear back from you, I've gone out on a limb. I
included you both in the head count for t-shirts. So, I hope that
even if you decide not to attend, you'll still send in supporting
memberships. No pressure, I'm sure I'll find happy homes for them
if you don't go with either option.

But please, let me know, one way or the other, and soon.

7/7 - A followup note to Ronda:
Both of the email addresses I had for Eric bounced. Please pass
along that last message.

Having done all that I could from this end, I put the matter out
of my mind. I never received any replies. A few days before the
qep'a' (I honestly don't recall the exact date, though doubtless
my phone records would reveal it) I attempted to phone Eric and
learn his plans. I didn't speak with him, but I left a message.

So, given all of this, and the lack of any reply to me, I'm quite
surprised and a bit upset to find Eric's posts here.

Let me repeat: No one is ever turned away at the qep'a', and
indeed it's not uncommon for people to show up at the last minute
for a day or the whole event. When they do so, they generally
miss out on the "goodies" that are provided to "registered"
members because of the requirement of placing orders weeks and
weeks in advance to having items (e.g., the annual qep'a'
t-shirts) printed up. Similarly, restaurants need an accurate
head count several days in advance. Often the price we pay per
head at the banquet is a function of how many people we expect to
bring, and that number is needed a month in advance. Further,
having everyone registered a month in advance provides the
working capital to make the purchases of supplies and other
materials for the qep'a'.

This is also why the deadline for registration is published in
HolQeD, giving people at least three months (though usually six
months) advance warning. But even so, in the worst case scenario
of people who didn't think they could attend until some last
minute circumstance permitted them to, they'd be welcome. They
might not get a t-shirt or any other qep'a' speciality items.
They might not be able to attend the banquet (though only under
the most extreme circumstances would we be unable to accomodate
the addition of another person), but they'd get every other
aspect of the qep'a'.

So, that's the "inner workings" of qep'a' registration.

Reading over my reply to Ronda's initial query, I don't see it as
being particularly harsh (though I confess, the tone may come
across that way). If this caused Ronda and Eric to believe they
were not welcome, I am truly sorry, and I can only ask them to
reflect upon our previous interactions. If they attempted to
reach me by email, I hope my copies of my posts to them above
make it clear that I never received them, as should my phone call
to Eric.

All in all, this looks like one of those situations where things
just fell apart. I have no clear idea of why.

Lawrence

Back to archive top level