tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 05 21:56:33 2004

Re: S31: {maq} vs. {'e' maq}

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, QeS lagh wrote:
> I'm not sure whether {maq} would use {'e'}, but the correct form is probably
> one of the following:
>
> ghoS tlhIngan SuvwI' 'e' maq
> maq <ghoS tlhIngan SuvwI'> jatlh
>
> But I don't know which one I'd select. Probably the second one, since the
> other verbs that involve speaking don't really use {'e'} either: {tlhob.
> <nuqDaq maH> jatlh.} {jang. <Qo'noSDaq maH> jatlh.} That sort of thing.

I don't understand what the second one means...  The first one works fine,
"The klingon warrior approaches is what he/she proclaimed".  In the second
one, what's the subject/object of /maq/?  It looks like the spoken phrase
is the subject of /maq/ but that doesn't make sense to me...

Out of these two, I'd definitely go with the first.  Unless you're just
missing a period:

maq.  <ghoS tlhIngan SuvwI'> jatlh.
"He proclaimed.  He said the Klingon warrior approaches."

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
        "I used to be confused, but now I'm just not sure."

Back to archive top level