tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 04 13:27:40 2004

Re: S31: {maq} vs. {'e' maq}

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Paul:

>My guess is that it's either a) in error or b) like /jatlh/.  Which
>doesn't help you any.  :)  I'd probably be inclined to say that, if this
>is "official", it's more likely that /maq/ "proclaim" is like /jatlh/...
>But I would probably use /'e'/ if I were writing it myself.

That's correct. The only verbs of saying that we know are {jatlh} and {ja'}.
Everything else needs a separate sentence, according to an interview Okrand
had with charghwI', printed in HolQeD v7n4p2-12:

"In Klingon, you {jatlh} and you {ja'}. That's about it. The guard asked the
prisoner a question. He replied. He said, [gestures a quotation he never
quite made]."

I'm not sure whether {maq} would use {'e'}, but the correct form is probably
one of the following:

ghoS tlhIngan SuvwI' 'e' maq
maq <ghoS tlhIngan SuvwI'> jatlh

But I don't know which one I'd select. Probably the second one, since the
other verbs that involve speaking don't really use {'e'} either: {tlhob.
<nuqDaq maH> jatlh.} {jang. <Qo'noSDaq maH> jatlh.} That sort of thing.

QeS lagh

10,000 children need sponsors ? change a life:
http://ad.au.doubleclick.net/clk;9294008;9739733;y?http://www.worldvision.com.au/childsponsorship/search/child_search.asp?om=1

Back to archive top level