tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 10 09:41:44 2003

Re: HOWL, SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF KAHLESS!!

At 03:32 AM Wednesday 9/10/2003, Kha' Lar Vestai-Wardach (Karen Wood) wrote:

Karen sent me this privately, but I thought it would be of general interest
to tlhIngan-Hol list members (if only as a translation exercise):

>I realize this message is a day in advance, but I wish for all Klingons,
>at 9 AM Thursday, to howl for all the brave, innocent souls lost in the
>COWARDLY AND UNWARRANTED attack, and imminent collapse of the World Trade
>Center.
>
>MAY THEIR SOULS REST IN STO-VO-KOR FOREVER

   reH Suto'vo'qorDaq leStaHjaj qa'pu'chaj.

even though I'm not sure that eternal rest is particularly Klingon wish.  Cf.

   batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv.  pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'.
   Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the Black Fleet where
    we battle forever. (Anthem)

On a grammatical note:  It seems that when using {reH} "always", adding
{-taH} to the verb is optional, emphasizing the continuous nature of the
act.  (Is resting an act?)  Interestingly, I count far more examples
without the suffix {-taH} (28) than with it (3).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level