tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 09 11:09:52 2003

Re: tlhIt

naHQun wrote:
>I found out yesterday that <tlhIt> is not a Klingon word.
>I had a clear memory yesterday morning of looking up the word
>and that it was a verb, meaning "gently".

"gently" is an adverb in English.

>All day long, I was flipping through dictionaries, trying to find it
>again.  But I just couldn't. I did everything short of writing this list
>for help... It wasn't until I looked in my electronic dictionary file at
>home last night, and didn't find it that I realized I had invented the
>word myself, in a dream I had had that morning.

Was Kahless talking to you?  <g>

You're right; *{tlhIt} is not a word.  Look's authentic, though.

We also have no verbs meaning "be gentle".  The closest I can think of is
the verb {tun} "be soft".

For "gently" some on the list have suggested *{pe'vIlHa'} - {pe'vIl}
"forcefully" plus {-Ha'} - but we don't know whether it's kosher.  Okrand
says that {-Ha'} appears on some, but not all, adverbials:

   Whether this {-Ha'} can be added to all adverbials is not clear.
   The notes taken while working with Maltz indicate that he balked
   at {vajHa'} ("not thus"?) but accepted {Do'Ha'} "unfortunately."
   Information on other adverbials has not yet been uncovered, though
   it is probably in the notes somewhere. (HolQeD 4.4)

Other known {-Ha'} adverbials are {batlhHa'} "dishonorably", {ghaytanHa'}
"unlikely", {nItebHa'} "linked" and {pIjHa'} "seldom, infrequently".

>and on another note, do we have a word for "linguist"?

Not officially, but we generally use *{Holtej} "language-scientist".  FYI,
we do have a word for "linguistics"; Okrand listed {HolQeD} in the KGT
glossary.

>~naHQun
>Linguists do it with their mouths.

nuj lulo'taHvIS, (Qu') luta' Holtejpu'.