tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 06 07:18:32 2003

Re: yIchung, yIchung!

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 7:28 PM
Subject: yIchung, yIchung!

> "Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
>
> yIchung! yIchung bIHeghvIptaHvIS Do Qob DatIvpa'
>
> I'm having
> a little trouble with the idea of "until".

I can't seem to find a way to do this, either. I have used a myriad of
different ways to do this, but I think they all fall short.

> I think -taHvIS is the way to
> go, but I think what might be missing is a sense of a known end point.

One of my attempts to get the idea of "until" has been to insert {lI'} in
place of {taH} in a
{-taHvIS} construction. {-lI'vIS} sounds wierd as h**l to me, and TKD says
that {-vIS} always takes {-taH}, so I know it's wrong, but you may be able
to do something with the idea.

> I thought about trying to break it down into multiple sentences, but I
> haven't figured out how to keep the associations in that manner.

IMHO, I think this is the right track. I don't know how you've tried it, but
I got:

bIHeghvIp'a'? yIchung 'ej tugh, ghu'vetlh choHmeH yap DolIj.
"Are you afraid to die? Accelerate, and soon, your velocity will be enough
to change that."

--ngabwI'
HovpoH juHDaq:
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/ngabwi/