tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 02 15:31:33 2003

Re: pronunciation vs. comprehension

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 [email protected] wrote:
> being able to pronounce the words is not necessary for comprehension, a fact
> attested to by people who know some words only from print.

I can "read" German, but my vocab pretty much sucks, so I don't usually
understand it.

I don't think anyone who comes here and says, "I want to learn how to read
Klingon" really means "I want to learn how to sound out the words I see."
99% of the time, I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt that
they are really interested in learning how to read *and comprehend* the
language.

tlhIngan Hol laDlaH neH 'e' HechmeH naDev QIn qon vay' 'e' vIHarbe'.
laDlaH neH Qumchugh neH, motlh Hol ghoj neH nuv.

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
        "I used to be confused, but now I'm just not sure."

Back to archive top level