tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 23 21:07:22 2003

Ah, boredom (warning! Poor Klingon ahead!)

Beth Baisch, the tuftedpuffin ([email protected])

Out of sheer boredom I started translating The Lion King into Klingon
(inspired by an attempted translation of the song "I Just Can't wait to be
King" that a friend of mine did).

My ability with *any* language (other than perhaps English!) is poor, no
matter how hard I have tried to learn it.  I think there is something wrong
with the language centres of my brain.  Anyhoo here's my sad attempt at
killing time ;) Not every line thus far has been translated, and there is
actually more than this that I did.  But here's just the first part anyway
(in Original English, Klingon, and the English translation of the Klingon).

Enjoy, edit, criticize, laugh, beat me up, whatever :)  Oh, and a few of
these were already "edited" by my friend but I think his translations were
even further off than mine (I wish I could remember which ones he
touched...)

Musical opening not included ;)

Scar:
Life’s not fair, is it?  You see I, well I shall never be king.  And you
shall never see the light of
another day.  Adieu
maybe’ yIn, qar’a’?  ta’ not vImoj’e’, ‘ej SoH’e’... HoH yIghuS!
Life isn’t fair, is that accurate? *I* will never become emperor, and
*you*... be prepared to die!

Zazu:
Didn’t your mother ever tell you not to play with your food?
reH SojlIj DaSoQ’a’?
Do you always lecture your food?

Scar:
What do you want?
SaSu, nuqneH
Zazu, whaddya want?

Zazu:
I’m here to announce that King Mufasa’s on his way, so you’d better have a
good excuse for
missing the ceremony this morning.

Scar:
Oh now look, Zazu.  You’ve made me lose my lunch
SaSu, narghlI’ meghwIj, ‘ej qapIch!
Zazu, my lunch is escaping, and I blame you!

Zazu:
Ha! You’ll lose more than that when the king gets through with you.  He’s as
angry as a hippo
with a hernia.

Scar:
Ooooh.... I quiver with fear

Zazu:
Now Scar... don’t look at me that way... Scar... HEEEEELP!
SQar... HISopQo’... qaqoy... jIyIn HIchaaaaaaaaaw’!
Scar... don’t eat me... I beg you... permit me to liiiiiiive!

Mufasa:
Scar!...
SQar!
Scar!

Scar:
Mmmm-hmmm hmmm?

Mufasa:
Drop him
tlhabmoH
Free him

Zazu:
Yeeech....

Scar:
Why...! If it isn’t my big brother descending from on high to mingle with
the commoners
toH!  muvaSa, loDnI’qoqwI’!
Well! Mufasa, my so-called brother! [For what purpose do you visit me?]

Mufasa:
Sarabi and I didn’t see you at the presentation of Simba.

Scar:
That was today?  Oh, I feel simply awful.  Must’ve... slipped my mind

Zazu:
Yes well as slippery as your mind is YOU should have been FIRST in line!

Scar:
Well I was first in line... until the little hairball was born...

Mufasa:
That “hairball” is my son...and your future king

Scar:
Oh, I shall practice my curtsey

Mufasa:
Don’t turn your back on me Scar
HImaghQo’, SQar
Don’t betray me, Scar

Scar:
Oh, no, Mufasa.  Perhaps you shouldn’t turn your back on me

Mufasa:
*roars and bares teeth* Is that a challenge???
may’ choqaD’a’ ?
Do you challenge me to battle?

Scar:
Temper, temper.  I wouldn’t dream of challenging you
QeHlIj DaSeH.
Control your anger. [I will never challenge you to battle]

Zazu:
Pity. Why not?
va.  qatlhbe’?
Damn.  Why not?

Scar:
Well as far as brains go, I got the lion’s share.  But when it comes to
brute strength... I’m afraid
I’m at the shallow end of the gene pool.

*Scar walks off*

Zazu:
There’s one in every family, Sire.  Two in mine actually... and they always
manage to ruin special
occasions

Mufasa:
What am I going to do with him?

Zazu:
He’d make a very handsome throw rug

Mufasa:
Zazu...!
WejpuH!
Charming (sarcastically, ironically)

Zazu:
...And just think! Whenever he gets dirty you could take him out and BEAT
him.

Oh joy ;)
-Beth Baisch
aka. tuftedpuffin aka. Heimdall

Tereo omorere-me martýs todwyn me-odygeren...

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/photos&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca

Back to archive top level