tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 23 19:36:41 2003

Re: [discuss] Hacking OpenOffice.org

Christian Einfeldt ([email protected])

On Sunday 23 November 2003 15:12, Jason Keenan wrote:
> Hey there everyone,
>
> I believe that any contribution to an open source project is useful.
> One advantage of this sort of a project is that people who are not
> programmers can contribute. The skills they aquire on the way can
> also aid in assisting translations into languages which some might
> percieve as more 'useful' also.

Very true.  In this case, localization of Klingon to OOo will need the
interest of Klingonists if it will work.

> I am currently working on a personal project, enhancing a
> 'translation' macro called (not very creatively) Vocabulary. It
> works in a similar fashion to 'The Universal Translator Project',
> basically mapping one word to another. I've just added a thesaurus
> check which finds similar words when there is not a direct
> translation available and is great for languages with a limited
> lexicon like Klingon or other conlangs. It's a bit of a hack at the
> moment but I believe it will be a great tool eventually. Possibly
> the functonality can be extended to work like pojwI' in the future.

The beauty of open source is that it gets stronger from contributions
like yours.

> I've just started using OpenOffice, which as far as word processing
> goes, is great. Not perfect, but still great. It is also multi
> platform so macros will work on Windows, Linux and possibly on the
> Macintosh (natively under an, I think, Alpha stage port).

Yes, OOo works on Mac OS X, or is supposed to work on OS X.  I have
heard some complaints.

> I'm not even a programmer and I've done this. Give it a go. Who
> cares if Microshaft stels the ideas. It will always be free with OO.

Yes, it will always be free for Klingonists and everyone else to use.
Jason, if you are interested in following the progress of your great
contribution to the Klingon OOo localization, please contact either
Ger Singleton or Ben Horst, emails above.  We are still looking for
someone who is proficient both in Klingon and computers to lead the
Klingon localization project, but until that time, both Ger and Ben
have offered to help nurse this localization through this search
period, at least.  I will also be helping by contacting Klingonist
groups worldwide to see if they are interested in helping.  Thanks for
your contribution!

> Raavin :)

Back to archive top level