tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 21 12:48:09 2003

Tao Te Ching Chp. 21

Agnieszka Solska ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

21K

mIw'a' pablu'DI' neH ghobna' chavlu'.

mIw'a' Dellu'meH nuq jatlhlu'?
SubHa' mIw'a' 'ej Sovlu'meH DuHHa'.[A]
Sovlu'meH DuHHa' 'ej SubHa'; 'ach qech ngaS.
SubHa' 'ej Sovlu'meH DuHHa'; 'ach Dol ngaS.
pegh 'ej HuvHa'; 'ach qa' ngaS.
ngebbe'bej qa'vam; vIt ngaS.

qaStaHvIS Hoch poH
vay' ponglu'DI' not lojchu' 'oH.
vaj DuH Hoch Dolmey mung nuDmeH Qu'.
chay' Hoch Dolmey mung vISov?
lojbe'chu' Dol vaj vISov.

21E

True virtue comes only from following Tao.

What can one say of Tao?
It is elusive and vague.
Elusive and vague, yet it holds ideas within.
Vague and elusive, yet it holds entities within.
Mysterious and dim, yet it holds spirit within.
The spirit's quite real, it holds the truth within.

Throughout time
Once a thing has been named it is never quite gone.
Thus it is possible to view the origin of all things.
How do I know the origin of all things?
I do because things are never quite gone.

[A] I found it really hard to render these concepts
in Klingon and the expressions I came up with are
themselves "elusive and vague".

The verb {SubHa'} is supposed to mean "unsolid",
i.e. insubstantial, therefore eluding.

As for {Sovlu'meH DuHHa'}, I got inspiration from
the fact that the suffix {-Ha'} can "also used if
something is done wrongly" (TKD 4.3).
Hopefully, my phrase can be understood as meaning
that it is possible to know it {Sovlu'meH DuH} but
in a way which is not quite right {-Ha'}.

'ISqu'
http://www.geocities.com/taoteching_klingon