tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 18 17:40:05 2003

Re: Why Turkish?

Christian Einfeldt ([email protected])

Speaking of Turkish, that is one of the other 31 languages that we have
localized for OpenOffice.org.  I have been speaking with a number of
Klingonists about their interest in localizing Klingon for
OpenOffice.org, and here's the status.  Klingonists have done a great
job of developing a sophisticated language system, and we are ready to
go forward with the documentation that you have provided us.  Now we
are in the phase of looking for technologically proficient computer
programmers who can divide up the tasks associated with localizing
Klingon for OpenOffice.org.

Normally, a nation picks up our code and localizes it themselves.  We
usually don't get involved in the nitty gritty of localizing
languages.  We are trying to organize the localization of this
particular language (Klingon) because there is no nation-state which
is taking on the task of that organizing.

If anyone knows anyone who has computer skills who would like make it
so that Klingon can be typed with word processing, spread sheet and
presentation programs like Word, Excel and PowerPoint, please feel
free to contact me.  This is not a promotional offer.  Our code will
always be publicly available to use, and it is perfectly legal to make
as many copies of our software as you please and give those copies to
whomever you want.  If you want to see what other languages have been
localized to OpenOffice.org, please just go here.  We will not sell
your email addresses!

You might recall how Earth in the 24th Century had no wars, no poverty,
no wages, and people just work at what they enjoy doing.  Our project
is similar.  Our code is used by 35 million people world wide, and has
been localized in over 31 languages, with another 40 or so
localization projects currently under way.

Back to archive top level